Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Home away from home

Monday morning, Clinton USA.

Friday, March 2

I have to tell you a little bit about the weekend and how I ended up in Clinton again. Last Friday we played at Muddy Cup in Catskill. After I got my brain-freeze (for you who have been reading) me and Helena passed out on their couches while people were having coffee around us. Then we went to the library to print map quests, posted some stuff, had lunch and then back to the venue. All this time we were feeling lousy for the lack of sleep. We laughed at each other how ugly and worn-out we looked. The show at Muddy Cup was really nice, thank you John for inviting us! We we're suppose to sleep on the same couches that night but Joy and Kathleen who were sitting in the audience wouldn't have it. We went back to Kathleens house and got a BIG bed! I can't explain how good that felt.

Saturday, March 3

After we woke up we all went to Joy and Joe's house to have a big American breakfast with a lot of bacon and sausages that we had to turn down since we don't eat meat. I always feel kind of stupid when that happens. Oh well, I won't break my 10 years of no meat-eating for good manners.. These people live around the Catskills mountains and it's so beautiful up there, someday I'll post more pictures.

So we had to rent a car to get to Southington, Connecticut. A Ford Focus with a bad smell and expensive..or maybe not too expensive but I would rather had taken a bus, you know? Now I was a professional so the driving was easy and we got to Norm's place around afternoon. Norm greeted us with orange juice and a college radio station. After a great dinner me, Helena, Norm and his daughter Hannah left for Jitters to play some tunes. The coffee shop was very nice and Shirley, the owner gave me a clam chowder that tasted brilliant. Hannah is a bongo drum player by the way!

Sunday, March 4

After pancake breakfast we drove to Kingston that is quite close to Catskill and very close to Woodstock. When we saw the signs we just couldn't help ourselves. Woodstock was a nice little town with a lot of "spirit-towns" and nice little restaurants. Unfortunately is was sooo cold there but we met a nice guy called 'Paul' that looked like he'd been around the glory days of Woodstock. He said we looked like 2 people he knew: Magnolia and Valentine..he also once sold a painting to Stockholm and wondered if we had seen it. We shook our heads and thanked him.

We found our Muddy Cup in Kingston thanks to my navigator Miss Arlock and the place was stony and echoing in a good way! Great acoustics I'm telling you all road-runners out there. I really enjoyed that show and I tried a lot of new songs. Thanks Nikki, you're awesome.

Joy had been so kind to say that we could go back to her place for the night since we were returning the car in Catskill anyway and since we didn't have a place to stay. So we went back to her place and saw an episode of Desperate Housewives with her before we fell asleep. We were so glad to be back in that big house in the country that Joy's husband built all by himself when they got married. I was amazed. I love that old-fashioned way. Can you do something greater to your love? I mean a house? Man…

Monday, March 5

We drove to the car-rental place to return the car then Joe was going to pick us up to drive to the train-station in Hudson. We had 40 minutes before he would show up so we went and ate disgusting food at Mickey D's. Strangely enough I sold a record to a guy that worked there…never did that before. He just saw our instruments and was determined to buy a record. Thank you, Dan!

Joe pulled up in his daughters pink car and drove us to Hudson. We said our farewells and after 2 hours of waiting and lyric writing at the station we were heading north again! The girl who checked our tickets shook her heads and smiled when she saw we were going all the way up to Utica: "So you're going that way, huh". We had to make a transfer in Albany before boarding the train that was going to take us to our dear friends Nick and Jennifer in Clinton – our home away from home. The snow was blowing and it was ice-cold but damn it was great to see them again!

After some wine, cheese and crackers I fell asleep like a little baby.

Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Today it's cold as hell and I just had some coffee, we have today off but tomorrow it's back to work. 4 shows in a row again. This tour is really expanding and I like it.
……………………………………………………………………………………
I'm going to steal a quote from my friend Alina's myspace:

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page. -St. Augustine"

No comments: